Roars and Whispers is published by the literary magazine students at Providence High School. Poetry, prose and artwork are submitted by members of the student body. Each written submission is judged anonymously by every member of the staff. The magazine publishes those prose and poetry selections that receive the highest scores and the artwork whose subject matter is most relevant to the written content.
Roars and Whispers is a nationally recognized publication that has won the top awards in scholastic journalism, including the prestigious NSPA Pacemaker in 2007 and the CSPA Gold Crown in 2011. In 2011 the National Scholastic Press Association inducted the magazine into the Hall of Fame. For more information, visit the official website at roarsandwhispersphs.com.
Advisor: Marva Hutchinson, firstname.lastname@example.org
Managing Editor: Katherine Welch
Design Editor: Remy Lucien
Copy Editor: Hannah Magraw
Non-fiction Editor: Hannah Magraw
Publicity Editor: Allie Debe
Art Editor: Em Carter
Business Editor: Paige Thomas
- Students submit an application, show examples of their work, and complete an interview.
- Open to sophomores, juniors and seniors.
- Commitment to learning about writing and design.
- Responsibility (see below) and leadership potential.
- Literary Magazine is a class that also requires extracurricular commitments.
- Writing and Editing
- Feature Article
- Layout and design
- Fundraising/Patrons/Community Relations